Book Club to Go
The Best Book Club Books for Your Reading Group
As CDC guidelines change, so do we ...
Steps Everyone Can Take to Make Gatherings Safer
- If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, find a vaccine.
- If you are not fully vaccinated and aged 2 or older, you should wear a mask in indoor public places.
- In general, you do not need to wear a mask in outdoor settings. In areas with high numbers of COVID-19 cases, consider wearing a mask in crowded outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated.
- People who have a condition or are taking medications that weaken their immune system may not be fully protected even if they are fully vaccinated. They should continue to take all precautions recommended for unvaccinated people, including wearing a well-fitted mask, until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider.
- If you are fully vaccinated, to maximize protection from the Delta variant and prevent possibly spreading it to others, wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission.
Please contact us at email@example.com with questions.
The South Dakota Humanities Council offers a packaged reading program for book clubs organized by individuals, libraries, bookstores, museums, and other organizations.
Note: While we have altered the process due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are continuing our Book Club to Go program, which, under normal circumstances, provides books for your club and an optional discussion leader for just $50.
Now, to accommodate your virtual book club, you can check out any book from our Lending Library, including the 2020 One Book SD, for just $25 to cover postage. We will mail a box of books you can distribute to your members. We also have scholars who have generously agreed to facilitate virtual discussions.
The Book Club to Go includes up to 30 copies of any title from the council's lending library and an SDHC scholar to lead a book discussion for the group. Groups can choose from more than 30 titles from the SDHC Lending Library, which includes some of the best book club books you'll find.
Applicant organizations will be invoiced for the grant fee shortly after application, and no grants will be awarded until fee received. Sponsoring organizations must also have no "open" grants residing in our database. An open grant entails missing paperwork or grant fees from previously approved or completed programs.
Any organization is eligible to apply for a Book Club to Go program.
- Select a title from the council's lending library.
- Set a date for the event.
- Contact an SDHC scholar to lead a group discussion.
- Submit an online application with the $25 application fee before the program.
- Promote your event. Thank the SDHC and NEH. Consult our promotional tips.
- Complete the evaluation form. Return the books.
- Program must be hosted in South Dakota and be open to the public.
- Any organization or book club may apply.
- Based on availability, organizations may apply for an unlimited amount of Book Club to Go programs.
SDHC Scholar-led Program Requirements
- A minimum audience of 15 people.
- The presentation hosted at a facility with comfortable accommodations.
- The program will be approximately 45 minutes with time for Q&A.
- A good faith effort in promoting the event beyond the organization's members. The council provides tools to help groups promote their SDHC-supported events.
- Acknowledgment of the council's sponsorship.