Reading Group Toolkit
The South Dakota Humanities Council offers a packaged reading program for book clubs organized by individuals, libraries, book stores, museums, and other non-profit organizations.
For a $50 application fee, the Reading Group Toolkit includes up to 30 copies of any title from the council's lending library and an SDHC scholar to lead a book discussion for the group. Groups can choose from more than 30 titles.
Any non-profit organization is eligible to apply for a Reading Group Toolkit.
- Select a title from the council's lending library.
- Set a date for the event.
- Contact an SDHC scholar to lead a group discussion.
- Submit an online application with the $50 application fee 4-6 weeks before the program.
- Promote your event. Thank the SDHC and NEH. Consult our promotional tips.
- Complete the evaluation form. Return the books.
- Program must be hosted in South Dakota and be open to the public.
- Any non-profit organization or book club may apply.
- Based on availability, organizations may apply for an unlimited amount of reading group toolkits.
For book discussions led by an SDHC scholar, the SDHC expects ...
- A minimum audience of 15 people.
- The presentation hosted at a facility with comfortable accommodations.
- The program will be approximately 45 minutes with time for Q&A.
- A good faith effort in promoting the event beyond the organization's members. The council provides tools to help groups promote their SDHC-supported events.
- Acknowledgment of the council's sponsorship.