Book Club to Go
The Best Book Club Books for Your Reading Group
!! Due to the coronavirus pandemic, SDHC's grant-sponsored programs are virtual-only. A small number of in-person gatherings requiring preapproval may be supported through application of COVID-19 health and safety protocols. Please contact us at email@example.com with questions. !!
The South Dakota Humanities Council offers a packaged reading program for book clubs organized by individuals, libraries, bookstores, museums, and other organizations.
Note: While we have altered the process due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are continuing our Book Club to Go program, which, under normal circumstances, provides books for your club and an optional discussion leader for just $50.
Now, to accommodate your virtual book club, you can check out any book from our Lending Library, including the 2020 One Book SD, for just $25 to cover postage. We will mail a box of books you can distribute to your members. We also have scholars who have generously agreed to facilitate virtual discussions.
The Book Club to Go includes up to 30 copies of any title from the council's lending library and an SDHC scholar to lead a book discussion for the group. Groups can choose from more than 30 titles from the SDHC Lending Library, which includes some of the best book club books you'll find.
Applications are required to include the $25 grant fee at the time of application, and no grants will be awarded without the accompanying fee. Sponsoring organizations must also have no "open" grants residing in our database. An open grant entails missing paperwork or grant fees from previously approved or completed programs.
Any organization is eligible to apply for a Book Club to Go program.
- Select a title from the council's lending library.
- Set a date for the event.
- Contact an SDHC scholar to lead a group discussion.
- Submit an online application with the $25 application fee before the program.
- Promote your event. Thank the SDHC and NEH. Consult our promotional tips.
- Complete the evaluation form. Return the books.
- Program must be hosted in South Dakota and be open to the public.
- Any organization or book club may apply.
- Based on availability, organizations may apply for an unlimited amount of Book Club to Go programs.
SDHC Scholar-led Program Requirements
- A minimum audience of 15 people.
- The presentation hosted at a facility with comfortable accommodations.
- The program will be approximately 45 minutes with time for Q&A.
- A good faith effort in promoting the event beyond the organization's members. The council provides tools to help groups promote their SDHC-supported events.
- Acknowledgment of the council's sponsorship.