Brainstorming: The Human Connection
Schedule (Sessions are on Thursdays via Zoom at 10:30 a.m.)
- July 1 | House vs Home Is there a difference? If so what? How could one turn a house into a home? How does the physical environment affect the creation of a home?
- July 8 | Anniversary Event: Part 1 As we approach our 1-year anniversary, we discuss what we've learned during a year of critical analysis and group discussions.
- July 15 | Anniversary Event: Part 2 Celebrating the 1-year anniversary of Brainstorming! Featuring a special video presentation and feedback session for future topics.
- July 22 | Prison Do you know anyone who has spent time in prison? How did there imprisonment affect your relationship? Would you accept them back into your life after they served time?
- July 29 | Money What do you use money for? What can money not buy? What would you do if you suddenly had no money?
- Aug. 5 | Identity What is it? Is it important, if so why? Are there downsides?
- Aug. 12 | Changing Gender Roles Do you believe widening gender roles serves humanity?
Are there changes that you would rather not happen? Are there roles you would like to see that you don’t see now?
- Aug. 19 | Cost vs Value What is more important to you cost or value? Why? How do you determine what something actually cost? How do you determine the value of something?
- Aug. 26 | Interpersonal skills How important are interpersonal skills relative to other skills? How should people learn interpersonal skills? Who should be responsible for teaching interpersonal skills?
Brainstorming Video Highlights
Diggs Hosting Weekly Sessions
The South Dakota Humanities Council, in cooperation with longtime SDHC scholar Lawrence Diggs, has developed a program to bring people peace and unity during these trying and divisive times.
Brainstorming: The Human Connection is a weekly discussion series led by Diggs. When it becomes safe once again to meet in person, sessions will be held in person. Until then, participants will gather via Zoom. Diggs will use his humanities expertise to introduce and connect people with one another to help avoid tragic misunderstandings like the one that occurred in Minneapolis on May 25, 2020, when George Floyd, an African-American man, died after police kneeled on his back and neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Read our official statement on that situation here).
Since this event, unrest has spread across the US, stemming from deeply rooted racial injustices that plague both America's past and present. As a State Humanities Council, it is our duty to provide humanities solutions to heal communities across their states and facilitate meaningful conversations in light of these circumstances.
Brainstorming Sessions: Schedule and Signup
About Brainstorming: The Human Connection
Download free Brainstorming Toolkit
About: Diggs is the host of Brainstorming: The Human Connection, a weekly South Dakota Humanities Council discussion series on forging human relationships. Audience participation is encouraged. Please note the meetings will be recorded. If you'd prefer not to be on the recording, you can attend and listen with your video and/or microphone turned off.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 829 9213 2991
Watch Previous Sessions